Mirage Lullaby

St Valentine's Day ka... brings back some nice memories.

There was a girl from school, Lorna, who had the 14th February as a birthday. I used to send her both a birthday card and a Valentine's card, along with a single rose. One year I went a bit mad and cycled up to her house 10 miles away to deliver my present. Was such a nice day, clear blue skies and warm sunshine. Was kind of a miracle that I arrived in the village the same moment she was taking her dog for a walk. We went for a short stroll around the village while she opened her present and cards. She seemed happy enough, but I was so damned nervous I couldn't really say. It just seemed like a dream at the time. The sun was shining, the birds were singing and the world just seemed so perfect. I'll never forget the sweet fragrance from the perfume she was wearing.

We arrived back in the village a short time after and she invited me to her house. It was situated near the end of a quiet little lane backed by a big, wide field. The house itself was a nice detached property with a big conservatory to the back. Inside was stylishly furnished and had a cosy feel about it. We talked for about and hour or so. Well I say 'talked' but in reality it was probably just me listening to her and occasionally saying, "yeah". Didn't matter though, it was a nice atmosphere.
It was getting dark so I decided that I had better set off home, it would be a long cycle back. We said our goodbyes outside and she gave me a hug. Shows of affections isn't something I'm very used to but I felt totally at ease on that occasion. Possibly one of my favourite days in my life and something I'll never forget.

We haven't spoken for a couple of years. Lost contact after she moved down to Liverpool to attend university. I still think about her from time to time, especially on St Valentine's Day. I wonder sometimes if I should call her and talk but I don't think it'd solve anything. I'll just be content with the memories of happier times.

Posted byHocchan at 12:05 pm  

1 comments:

Anonymous said... 12:12 am GMT  

It's funny how you thought this entry came off depressing. I thought it came of sweet and nostalgic :) It sounded like a very nice memory to have! We all have memories like that and they are important to hold on to. Valentine's Day in general is a depressing day, so if you can think of anything that puts a smile on your face...do it! glad you are doing well!

Post a Comment