Kawaranai Mono

The piece of news that I hoped would never materialise has finally arrived. Due to poor viewership ratings, the Haromoni@ show will be cancelled. The last episode will air on 28th September. To be honest this is something I thought might happen sooner or later. It's still a bit of a disappointment to see it in black and white. In spite of all the criticism about its content I was a staunch supporter of the show. For all of its weaknesses and apparent lack of substance it was still something to look forward to every Sunday morning. To imagine it not being there after September is quite a depressing thought. There's no news as to whether there will be a replacement programme involving Morning Musume but it's not looking hopeful. What will it mean for the future of the group if their final bastion of their once mighty television kingdom has finally come crashing down? Only time will tell.

On a happier note, I watched Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo after a recommendation from Michael. I remember seeing the promotional poster for it when it was released in 2006 and thought it looked quite interesting. It's known as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time in English and was based on a popular novel by Tsutsui Yasutaka published in mid-sixties. It centres around a high school girl called Konno Makoto who discovers one day that she can travel through time. It's a bit of a novelty at first as she uses her powers on things like 8-hour karaoke sessions. As the film progresses, however, her actions begin to have undesired consequences on the people around her.

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this film but I was pleased with how it turned out. The artwork is on the simple side but still pleasing to the eye. The voice acting was decent, although I did find the sound of Makoto crying to be rather irritating. I don't know what the voice director was thinking but I'm sure high school girls don't cry like 2-year-old babies (do they?). Apart from that little aspect the rest of the film was perfect. Especially the amazing soundtrack and insert songs sung by Oku Hanako. Kawaranai Mono has been on repeat for three days now and I haven't grown tired of it. Fantastic song.

Posted byHocchan at 11:36 pm  

2 comments:

Mrs, Samaripa 10/10/08 said... 3:28 pm BST  

wow, I didn't notice until today that your blog has a slightly new look to it. It looks very clean and professional. I like the blue menu bar at the top. Anyway, I'm sure you're very excited about starting university soon and I wish you lots of luck! Michael and I have been having troubles finding an English version of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (at least a LEGAL version of it). We'd very much like to see it. Hopefully it will be added to netflix or blockbuster soon.

Hocchan said... 4:08 pm BST  

Hmm? I thought you guys had a copy of it already? It was Michael who told me to see it so I assumed he'd bought it or something? It seems to be available to buy on Amazon, unless you mean you need a rental copy?

Post a Comment