Anxious Times

It's only two days into Freshers' Week but it feels like it's been a lot longer than that. Perhaps it's because I haven't been getting much sleep (due to the noise from people during the night) but it's been a tough couple of days. At least my flatmates are pretty good. They like to go out partying and talking loudly but they're decent people. One of them was nice enough to let me use her crockery when I didn't have any at the start of the week. Another very kindly gave me a bag of White Rabbit Creamy Candies today. I love those sweets so much. I can't believe she managed to find them reduced and in a Tesco!

Speaking of Tesco, I haven't managed to find any in the city yet. I know there is a small Express store less than a mile from the flat but I haven't had chance to look for it. My friend told me about a small Asian food shop a couple of blocks and that has been an absolute Godsend. There's nothing like familiar foodstuffs to help you settle in to a new city. I also found out that there's another shop a little further away so I might pop down to that one sometime.

I haven't been settling in too well to university life. I'm not a person who adjusts easily to change. I don't like it. I like my regular routine that has predictable, regular occurrences. It's still early days and I should start to feel more comfortable after a few weeks once my lectures start in earnest. That is if I don't continue to panic and feel sick when attending them. The first few meetings have been nerve-racking and not very fun at all. When encountering a new, unknown situation I start to panic. This panicking leads to a very distressing nauseous feeling. And because I'm feeling nauseous I start to worry about people seeing me feel sick and that panics me even more. It's a vicious circle and it's very tough to concentrate on anything whilst it's happening. I just pray that I can relax more and stop myself from panicking so much or my first year is going to be rough.

Posted byHocchan at 8:29 pm  

4 comments:

Zac said... 11:35 pm BST  

I know what you mean with the whole adjusting to a new situation/nauseous/panic thing...I react the same way to change. Just focus on your studies and keep pushing on (that's what seems to work best for me). I'm sure things'll pick up once the schoolyear gets going. :)

- cfb

Hocchan said... 5:03 pm BST  

Thank you for your comment. I'm feeling a little better today so hopefully things will improve by the end of the week. Just got to keep myself occupied until I settle in.

Mrs, Samaripa 10/10/08 said... 11:57 pm BST  

Yeah, I hate "new" situations too. I usually try my very very best to just blend in to the woodwork :) I'm sure in no time you'll get used to it...your japanese class sounded like fun! I think that's great that you have actual native speakers in the class to help out. Also, it is nice that you have flatmates that are decent people. From the looks of it, you're having a pretty good first week :)

Hocchan said... 6:59 pm BST  

There have been some good bits but also some not so good bits. I'm looking forward to the actual teaching to start though. It's easier to deal with anxiety when you've got a lot of work to distract you.

Post a Comment