The Big One

That letter this morning made me forget the things I was supposed to report today so I'm going to do that now. Firstly, the major piece of news (if you're a Morning Musume fan like me) is that two new members are going to be added this summer! There had not been any previous announcements regarding this by UFA or Tsunku so it was a bit surprising to say the least. As if this wasn't a big enough shock already it turns out that these two new members are Chinese. Understandably this has caused a fairly big reaction from fans around the world. From complete shock to anger and utter disbelief. For an all girl pop group that has been around for 10 years, and is considered one of Japan's premier institutions, to suddenly get two Chinese members out of the blue is major news. Personally I'm going to hold judgement until I see how they fit in and whether this is a permanent arrangement. I am very shocked however, and can see why many fans would be angry at this decision. Is it wrong to only want Japanese girls in a Japanese pop group? Will adding Chinese members really be so bad? And does the fans' anger merely translate to an undercurrent of racism? All these questions need to be considered.

The whole thing about the 8th generation auditions becomes clear though. When Tsunku said that there'd be 3-4 members joining and it ended up only being Mitsui Aika many thought it odd, myself included. Now we get the full story; there was another secret audition over in China at the same time. I thought that this was a little underhanded as all the previous auditions had been announced to the public and were televised each step of the way. Furthermore I'm not sure about the calibre of China's young singers. Obviously this news will take a little while to fully sink in. What's clear to see, if these members turn out to be permanent, is that Morning Musume will never be the same ever again. I have feelings of slight apprehension coupled with feelings of anticipation. The two members will have their television debut on this Sunday's Hello! Morning. We still don't know if they can speak Japanese yet. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot more viewers than normal. We shall see...

Second and not so big piece of news is that my replacement modem router has arrived. So far it looks like it's all fixed and there are no major problems. I'm using it now in fact. The one slight niggle I have is that when I move a couple of rooms away I can't seem to connect to the internet. I have no problems when I'm right next to the router. I'm looking into ways of possibly boosting the transmitter to increase the range. My sister's Vista is being a sod at the moment so I can't see if her laptop can connect with it yet. Going to test it out when she gets it fixed.

PS. I love that picture of Tanaka Reina. It's from her new photobook taken in Hawaii. And no, it's not just because her skirt is so short... >.>

Posted byHocchan at 9:04 pm  

2 comments:

Anonymous said... 10:00 pm GMT  

is this an attempt to up the number of posts this month to beat your last record? hmmmm....as far as the short skirt, I do notice that men seem to like their japanese girls as GIRLS, the school girl outfit, or cutesy little girl look...kind of perverted, but I like you like that, as long as you aren't out there molesting little women. :)

Hocchan said... 11:05 pm GMT  

Actually I could very well beat the record again this month but I'm not aiming for it specifically. I'm currently at eight posts and it's only halfway through March. We shall see. (seems that I like that phrase.)

I do admit that I tend to have a thing for girls who are probably below my 'acceptable' age group (like Tanaka Reina who only just turned 17). But on the other hand my favourite girl by far is Horie Yui who's 31. Which age is stranger - 5 years my junior, or 8 years my senior? However, it's only 'perverted' as you put it because it's not considered normal here in the west. In Japan it's a lot more widely accepted (though I wouldn't say that they condone paedophilia). They're less harsh when it comes to age gaps between men and women.

There are people who would even make me raise an eyebrow. Supporters of C-ute for example, who's members have an average age of 13. That's really too young. But I would probably guess that even those people aren't inherently sick/twisted/perverted. Even wotas have morals /laugh.

PS. You like me perverted?! o.O; Even the foot licking?

Post a Comment